If you’ve ever wondered how to make money with Your blog or website, you’re in the right place. With 8 years of my experience in creating income websites, I show you in this article how bloggers make money on the web. Here, no “bullshit”. I tell you the real business!
Materials Needed To Make Money With A Blog
- A blog. Of course! Here’s how to create a blog if you do not already have one. This is the fast enough portion to set up.
- Quality content. When you have a blog, write high-quality content. Take out your expertise on the topic you have selected and write informative articles. Your content must be of superior quality. Provide value. Give give give! To make money to the blog, you must have visitors on your site. To have visitors, your content must be worth watching. You will then get SEO in a natural way with Google.
- Relationships. By creating quality content, also start building a network of social networking, forums, newsgroups and commenting on other blogs. Contact other experts in your niche. Find people who may need the information you share on your blog.
- A solid platform. Continue to educate yourself about your topic so that your content is constantly improved over time. Use blog to get visibility, create credibility, to gain people’s trust and be useful for them.
- Income stream. There are many ways to make money as a blogger. I give you an overview of the different approaches used on the web to make income (described later in the article).
Tips To know Make Money with a blog
- The majority of bloggers’ incomes do not come directly from the fact that they write articles. A blog is a platform and the basis of your project. After establishing their reputation with this tool, bloggers use their site as a springboard to launch their products or services that them, bring them money back. Ex: ebooks, books, conferences, products, online courses, etc.
- If you want to make money to blog, it takes time, creativity, competitivity, but it is definitely very achievable if you have the motivation.
- Each blogger has his own combination of techniques to make money. There is NOT the right way. There will be, your way. The possibilities are endless.
- Successful bloggers at the monetary level have many sources of income and are constantly looking for new ways to make money.
- I hope you have chosen a topic that fascinates you for your blog. As your site grows in a number of visitors, choose online revenues that are right for your audience. What are they looking for? For example, your blog about the canoe? Sell your services as a canoe expedition guide. Or make videos from you online and go get sponsors. I told you, the possibilities are endless.
The 5 Ways to Make Money with a Blog
I divided into 5 main categories the different sources of income used by blogs:
- Place Ads on Your Blog (Google Adsense)
- Sale Products With Affiliate Marketing
- Sell Digital Products like ebooks etc
- Physical Products Sale and Promotion
- Provide Your Services According to Your Experience
Advertisements – Place Ads on Your Blog
Banner ads are images similar to highway signs or advertisements in magazines. In general, these are arranged in the header of your site (header), in the sidebar, in the footer or through your content.
The ads are present to complement the content of your blog making them more attractive to your visitors who will be qualified to the products or services that will be advertised there.
Banners are often provided via an ad network. Ad networks are companies that connect advertisers with bloggers and website owners. They negotiate agreements between the two parties. It’s a bit like your agent and an advertising broker for advertisers. These take a commission on the established partnership.
Some ad channels, such as Google Adsense, are quite easy to install on your website. Others are quite selective compared to the types of blogs they accept in their network. Examples of advertising networks are Google AdSense and BuyAndSellAds etc.
Can we really make money with Google AdSense?
This is a very popular and very relevant question. Google AdSense is the largest online advertising network. We constantly see Google Adsense ads when we browse the web.
Adsense ads are offered in different formats and formats (images or text). These are published in the sidebar of the websites, in the header, the footer, inside the contents and wherever the site owner chooses to distribute them.
The Adsense network is a good place to start if you want to use this way to generate income because it’s pretty easy to set up.
By cons, if you want to make lots of money with Google AdSense, you must either be in a rather unique niche in which advertisers pay a lot of money per click for their ads, or you must have a lot of traffic (very difficult to Get if you are a beginner in the matter).
For these reasons, I do not necessarily recommend Google Adsense (or creating revenue through banner ads) for new bloggers.
- To apply for Google AdSense or other ad networks, contact it via their website.
- If you want to get an idea of prices and popular blogging traffic, sites like Beacon Ads and Federated Media are places to see such information.
- If you use the Google Adsense network, see the best practices for the placement of Google ads. Advertisements should not harm your content.
- As always, experiment. Test ads placement on your site to measure profitability.
Private ads are very similar to advertising banners. In fact, it is the same thing except that the intermediary is removed from the board. You are responsible for negotiating agreements directly with advertisers. Here is a video that I love about Gary Vaynerchuk who makes a live pitch to a potential customer to sell advertising. A jewel!
The first contact can come as much from the person in charge of the blog (you) or the advertiser. Be clear about what each party will get in this exchange.
You do not know how much to ask? Look at other websites in the same niche you see to see how much they are asking for their side.
Just because you create a section promoting your ads on your site does not mean that advertisers will find you and call you. Go instead to them. Be proactive. Find a magazine on the same topic as your blog and watch who advertises in it. These companies could become your main sources of revenue.
Reviews and Gifts
If you’ve been reading blogs for some time, you’ve probably seen articles that criticized (positive or negative) some products and services. You have probably also crossed competitions through which you could earn yourself certain prizes. The principle is simple, a company provides a product or a service to the blogger so that it criticizes it or gives it to some of its readers.
I put the “gifts” portion here because some blogs charge an amount in addition to getting the product for free to give its opinion with respect to it. So it becomes a way to make your site profitable.
Tips for gifts and reviews of products/services:
- Do not be afraid to negotiate. This is your blog. You do not have to take whatever is offered to you. It is still your reputation that you put on the table when you criticize the product in question.
- If you do not want to make a criticism for a company, ask if it would instead accept an ad space on your site. Mention that it will be highlighted for your readers.
Sponsors for a newsletter or podcast
If you have a newsletter or a podcast? You can add sponsors in the same way you would on your blog. The vast majority of the podcasts I listen to always start by mentioning a sponsor for the episode of the week. You can contact potential advertisers and tell them how they might benefit from having a presence in your podcast or newsletter (or both!).
If you are interested in starting a podcast, I suggest Pat Flynn’s website. The latter is a notoriety in the field and has been very successful thanks to his podcast for several years. He even created a comprehensive guide on how to start your podcast.
Writing a sponsored article means that you work with a certain company and that you write an article about their product or service. Be transparent and put forward in the article the nature of your relationship with the company. Be careful not to burn yourself over your readers by carrying too many sponsored items. Keep these to a minimum acceptable.
Summary of category “advertisements” to make a blog profitable
- Several ad networks are easy to set up on your blog and keep up to date
- They are very lucrative for some bloggers
- Mobile platforms, “popup ad blockers” and others can make invisible advertisements for certain readers on your site, making it less paying.
- To make a good income with this way to make a site profitable, you either have to have a lot of traffic or a very nested and paying area for advertisers.
- Advertising costs have fallen in recent years.
- Advertisements alter the visual of your site and can be annoying to your visitors.
- A large majority of visitors are now unresponsive to advertisements and will never click on them.
My advice for advertising
- Be patient. Wait for the right partners with values similar to yours.
- Unless you are already a popular blogger, this is the advertising medium that I do not recommend to beginners. It can be daunting to install Google Adsense and see $ 1.24 as a monthly income as it takes a lot of traffic to be profitable.
Sale Products With Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the promotion of a product or service from someone else on your blog, in an article or elsewhere on the web. Your link to the product using an affiliate link (a URL containing a code specifically associated with you). When a person clicks on this link and makes a purchase, you get a commission on that sale.
Sell Digital Products Online
Audio & Video
You can sell audio or video files. These can be coaching, podcasts, music, web TV, etc. You can even sell your music creations or video creations where people can buy the rights and use them in their own project. To do this, simply sign up for sites like that Audio Jungle or iStockPhoto (in addition to photographs, iStock also sells video and audio files).
Applications, themes or plugins
If you are a programmer, you could create your own applications, websites themes or plugins (WordPress extensions). You could sell them on a site like Creative Market or ThemeForest. Many plugin programmers offer their achievements for free, but also receive donations from users.
Online courses, webinars, and online courses
Choose a topic you know well and you can teach different people interested in learning about it. Present your content 1 or 2 times to refine your presentation and start charging a certain amount of money for those who would like to take your classes.
There are many bloggers who write e-books. Ebooks are no longer selling as they were previously sold on a blog, but for some people with really interesting content and with a good group of supporters who helps you to promote it, it can still be very profitable.
For e-books in 2017, there are many authors who make a lot of money selling these directly to Amazon. The key they say is to write a lot of books.
Premium content and subscription site
The premium content on a website is placing it in private section and charging visitors for access.
This is not a new concept, but this way of making money online is becoming more and more popular. On the other hand, there is so much interesting and free content on the web that for this strategy to work well, your content must be truly unique; Access to individuals whose expertise is highly coveted, products and services exceptional, coaching one by one or all kinds of products and services personalized.
Are you a photographer? An illustrator? Why not sell your photos on a site like iStockPhoto or DepositPhotos?
Selling blogs and websites
There are several bloggers who have sold their website for an amount in the 4-5-6 and even 7 digits.
Just as some people do flips of houses, there are Internet users who also make flips of websites. Flippa is a website for buying and selling websites.
For many bloggers, their blog helped them sell books. If you publish your book yourself, a blog is a great way to promote it.
Conferences and special events
You can create special events and conferences in relation to your topic. You can also add a “Lecturer” section on your blog to show you are offering services in this area.
Are you clever with your hands? You might consider selling your creations on a site like Etsy or even on Amazon (handmade) On these sites, you can even open your own business. It’s easy and free. But you might also decide to create your own e-commerce site. However, it will cost you much more for the design of the website.
You could sell manufactured goods and use your site, your blog, or your newsletter to promote it.
You can use this approach as much if you are the manufacturer yourself if you are selling someone else’s products.
Provide Online Services
Consider selling your services as if you were a self-employed worker. If you have a passion and aptitude for your topic, why not offer your services via the web? Think about ways to use your skills in your favor and sell these online.
- Administrative assistant
- Personal assistant
- Project manager
- Coach (professional coach, personal coach, life coach, etc.)
- Web Designer
- Consultant / Consultant
- Cook – sell catering, or chef at home, etc.
- Application Developer
- Sound Editor
- Photo Editor
- Social Network Manager
- Video editor
- Etc. Etc.
Selling a service is really great because the cost of starting your project is actually minimal.
The problem is that selling a service is very difficult to duplicate. Your income depends mainly on the time you have.
Tips for selling services:
- Create your own website (cost) with only a few pages: Home, About, Contact, Services offered, testimonials, Portfolio (if set).
- Participate in discussion boards. Comment, get involved on social networks, answer questions. This is how you will create an expert reputation in your field.
Where to start?
Do you feel overwhelmed by all this information? It’s normal. There is a lot to learn when you do not know the web from this angle.
You should know that there is no miracle recipe. What works for one blog may well not work for another. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee of the success of your project.
What is your personality?
Are you introverted or extrovert? Are you an organized person? These questions will help you determine ways to make a blog profitable that might more suit your personality.
For example, an introvert who starts out by wanting to get involved in social networks and socializing in forums is probably not the place he should focus on.
“know thyself”. Take into account your personalized before starting your work. Put all the odds on your side by making the right choices right from the start!
What are the means used by your competitors?
Look at well-established websites and blogs on the web in relation to your field of activity. How do they make money? How do they get involved on the web? If the methods used to match your personality, BINGO! Start here. As Picasso said: “good artist copy great artist steal”!